Although no evidence has been found of prehistoric activity, Tandridge must have been quite important in Anglo-Saxon times, before the Norman Conquest, in giving its name to one of the thirteen Hundred districts into which Surrey was divided. The same title has also been adopted by the present District Council which covers very largely the same administrative area. No records or material traces of this early period remain, however, and even the origin of the place-name is not known.
The only obvious survival is the Hundreds Knoll, now marked by a small memorial set on the north side of the Godstone Road (A25), to the west of Tandridge Hill Lane. This was the meeting place of the open air Hundreds Courts that were held there from Anglo-Saxon days, right up until the 18th Century. Although the Normans gradually introduced a more formal system of justice, the Courts continued in existence for certain civil purposes and the Hundreds Knoll is recorded as still being used for the election of constables and other local officials in 1720.
The Domesday Book survey of 1086 showed the area much reduced in wealth in the period immediately after 1066 and most probably, together with other local villages, Tandridge was adversely affected by the passage of the Norman army through Surrey. Even before 1066 however, the neighbouring communities of Oxted and Godstone were already starting to become more important and Tandridge never re-assumed its former significance.
Probably the most important building in the Parish of historic architectural interest (Grade 1) is St Peter’s Church at the northern end of the village, with the earliest part of the existing structure dating from around 1100AD. In the Church grounds stands the ancient Tandridge yew tree which, in company with that at Crowhurst, is regarded as one of the oldest and largest in Britain.
There are many other listed buildings of interest in the Parish, further details of which are included in the booklet ‘The Parish of Tandridge’ which was produced by the Parish Council in 1994 on the occasion of it’s centenary.
The Tandridge 100 Sign has now been cleared and cleaned so you can see the plaque which describes the Saxon Tythingmen who met on a hill! Tandridge Parish Council would like to thank Surrey County Council Highways Comms Gang for clearing the area around the Tandridge 100 Stone.
The stone and it's history are now visible for all to see.
It is located just after the turning into Tandridge Hill Lane